Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tiritiri Matangi Island

Tiritiri Matangi is an Island in the Auckland Hauraki Gulf which has been part of an ecological restoration plan since 1984.
One of my lecturers, Mel Galbraith, has been involved with the restoration from the beginning. Its since been awarded one of the top 25 successful restoration projects in Australiasia! It homes many of New Zealands native flora and fauna.
I'm quite passionate about this type of work and hope that one day I will be able to work on a similar project anywhere in the world.
We went there for a class trip in my 1st year, I loved it, its so beautiful, is a great display of what northern New Zealand forests should be like (without the pests of course!) 

A few friends and I have been thinking about staying there for a weekend coming up, they have a bunkhouse you can stay in, leaving you to wonder the island whenever you like! We were also thinking about asking DoC if there was any work they wanted done, like some tracking or even just searching for litter
.I really hope we stay motivated about this idea and go through with it!

Most of the photos are self-taken, the bottom three I've just googled to show some of the species on the island.The 4th one down is the Bellbird, 5th is the South Island Takahe (the north island version is extinct), 6th is the Tuatara (from the days of the dinosaurs) and 6th is the North Island Kaka (a parrot!).

No comments:

Post a Comment